Water quality is an important part of the cooling process. Film fills are more efficient than splash fills, but if it’s been fouled, it reduces cooling tower performance.
Typically, they foul when used in the wrong application.
- Processes using lubricants, such as steel or aluminum rolling mills
- Cooling towers located near coal or fly ash piles
- Cooling towers near plowed farmlands
- Cooling towers using processed sewage or geothermal effluents
- Cooling towers where make-up water contains high concentrations of various minerals
Film fill that begins to foul in a short period of time is subject to continual fouling unless the circulating water is treated or filtered. The fill-fouling process usually starts at the bottom and progresses upward through the fill packs.
Tower Components works with many facilities to solve fouled film problems by installing one or two feet of film fill under the distribution system along with several feet of Opti-Bar splash fill positioned beneath the film fill.
If your existing film fill is fouling and, due to performance loss, the fill is being replaced every few years, contact Tower Component's. We will work with you on what can be done to solve the problem without a loss in tower performance or the repetitive expense of having to change the film fill every few years.